Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage' Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage'
English English Welsh Welsh
only search

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)

The Official Kenfig Community History Project
About | Contact | Location | Sitemap | Newsgroup / Facebook | Old Guestbook Local Community Group

Member Member Login Member Login
St James' Church Kenfig

Search Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) Website


Kenfig History

Kenfig History & Community / Religion / Churches / St James' Church, Kenfig

Site Plan - Kenfig Town, Castle & Church (Gray 1909)
Site Plan - Kenfig Town, Castle & Church (Gray 1909)

St James' Church, Kenfig (Built c.1147-1154)

History of the Church

During the 12th century the Normans progressed along the South Wales coast led by Robert Fitzhamon who split the conquest into knights fees keeping Cardiff and parts of Margam and Kenfig for himself, suggesting that they were of some significance. Kenfig became a Norman trading town attacked frequently by the Welsh.
The Normans had adopted the Roman form of Christianity and an organised church was becoming centred on Canterbury with the abbeys at other sites in England. As the Normans moved west they endowed abbeys at Tewkesbury and Gloucester with lands and authority in South Wales.
Kenfig was endowed to Tewkesbury Abbey.

Site of Church

The site of the old church is stated to have been South of the Castle's outer bailey (over 300 yards from Castle itself). A worked stone together with the outlines of graves and human remains have been noted in the site of the adjoining cemetery (the limits of which remain uncertain). A floriated slab seen by Donovan in 1804 lay at Maudlam Church for many years before being housed in Margam (Stones) Museum. The slab can be dated to the late 13th or early 14th century; it's enriched with a floriated design and has an elaborate encircled cross in the head. The Lombardic inscription at the sides is now undecipherable.

Medieval Kenfig

The church in the medieval town of Kenfig was initiated between 1147 and 1154. William, the Earl of Gloucester, petitioned the Abbot of Tewkesbury to permit Henry Thusard, clerk, to build a church in the town of Kenfig. Thusard paid an annual pension of 2 shillings to the Abbot so that the rights of Tewkesbury to the tithes were not prejudiced. Thus the church of St. James in Kenfig was a Tewkesbury church. As time went on, the sand encroached on the town. A number of events indicate that this gradual process, accelerated by occasional storms, occurred largely during the second half of the 13th, the 14th and into the 15th centuries.

What happened to the St James Church?

The church of St.James in Kenfig was eventually overwhelmed and a new church was built in Pyle, again dedicated to St.James. Some of the costs of the replacement of the church in Pyle would have been borne by the burgesses of Kenfig who were given to understand that the church in Pyle was now their parish church.
It is believed that St James' Church at Kenfig was removed stone by stone and rebuilt at Pyle being renamed St James' at that location.

The Church Font (Maudlam Church - Was this font originally from St James' Church, Kenfig?)

Maudlam Church Font
The font in St Mary Magdalene Church, Maudlam is of early Norman origin with a distinctive fish-scale pattern all over and rope rim to its upper edge. The font occupies more than its fair share of space in the church with a theory that it was brought to Maudlam Church from the original St James' Church at Kenfig when that became inundated with sand.
A similar but smaller font can be seen in Llantwit Major church.

Source: Bridgend County Borough Council Library & Information Services


History of Kenfig & surrounding areas - Prehistory to the Present Day


  • Bronze / Iron Ages & Roman Era
  • The Monastic Era (1147-1536)
  • The Mansel Era (1536-1750)
  • Talbot Era (1750-1941)
  • War Years / Sir David Evans-Bevan
  • The County Council Years




    • Bridgend County Borough Council Library & Information Services
    • The Story of Kenfig Book - A. Leslie Evans
    • The Parish of Pyle & Kenfig
    • Rob Bowen, Local Community Group

    Webpage Author

    • Rob Bowen, Local Community Group, 2011

    Maudlam Church (Built c.1255)

    Maudlam Church built c.1255

    New Local Genealogy

    Kenfig & Surrounding Area

    A unique online resource of the families that have helped shape the Kenfig area.

    Parish Surnames since 1695

    Beginning in 1695 this information contains a wealth of interesting material especially for Geneaology Studies.
    ... Parish Surnames since 1695

    Related Sections

    Margam Abbey (1147-1536)

    Margam Abbey
    Founded in 1147 by Robert, Earl of Gloucester, Margam Abbey was a Cistercian Abbey of the Mother House Clairvaux - its dissolution came about in 1536 and was the first abbey to fall under the Dissolution of the Monastries by King Henry VIII... Margam Abbey

    Capel Mair (c.1470)

    Capel Mair
    The medieval chapel known as Hen Eglwys or Capel Mair stands on the east side of Margam woods on a grassy knoll below Graig Fawr at 107m OD. Built c.1470 it appears to have served the local community who lived near to Margam Abbey; the Abbey Church being restricted to the monks... Capel Mair

    The Margam Estate

    With evidence of over 4000yrs of continuous human habitation at Margam, learn history of the Estate & its owners through the centuries. Glimpse a Timeline of Margam Estate from the Bronze/Iron Age & Roman, Monastic, The Mansels, The Talbots, War Years/Sir Evans-Bevan & The Council Eras through to a an indepth study of all the above - this latter section will be on-going & updated at regular intervals.
    ... The Margam Estate

    Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - An important part of Wales' documentary heritage



    War Years



    The Coast

    Pictorial History

    Exclusive Pictorial History of the old Kenfig Borough ENTER