The Kenfig Borough / Old Bro Cynffig

In medieval times Kenfig was awarded the status of a Borough. The Kenfig Borough or Old Bro Cynffig included Kenfig, Maudlam (Mawdlam), much of North Cornelly, Marlas, Pyle and some of Kenfig Hill. [ Learn more ]
The Official Kenfig History Website
About | Contact | Location | Sitemap | Guest Book / Forum
Member Member Login Member Login
Kenfig - The Complete History
A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales
Kenfig - The Complete History [ ]

Community :: History around the Area - Nottage

History around the area - Nottage
History of Kenfig & surrounding area
Today: [ ]

Nottage (Notais - The Pollard Ash Tree)

An Ancient Village and Conservation Area

Nottage (Notais meaning The Pollard Ash Tree)
St David's Well
Ffynnon Dewi Well or St.David's Well in Moor Lane, Nottage
St David's Well
Ffynnon Dewi Well or St.David's Well in Moor Lane, Nottage
The original village of Nottage was sited on a small hill lying above the level of the Wilderness marshland and near a stream which flowed southwards through the Rhyll to an inlet of the sea.
The limestone rock ensured dry ground and numerous wells gave a plentiful supply of drinking water. There is clear evidence of a Viking influence in the area with place names such as Sker and Tusker, however, the village of Nottage was far enough from the sea to avoid casual observation by Viking marauders who plagued the Bristol Channel. From earliest times the village was built as a defence position, a place where a rural population lived even though their farm land was outside.
Artifacts found in and around Nottage indicate that Beaker Folk, Celts and Romans inhabitaed the area. There are links with Nottage and St David, the Patron Saint of Wales, including a well in Moor Lane called St David's Well.

The 12th Century

During the early 12th century, William Earl of Gloucester awarded his faithful supporter Richard of Cardiff 'for his services, New Town in Margam' (Ricardo de Kardif pro suo Novam Villam in Margam). The boundary of Novam Villam extended from the sea northwards through Dewiscumbe (The Rhyll) to Park Newydd Farm.
Nottage was outside Novam Villam possibly due to the presence of a Celtic Church. Influences of Norman occupation became more apparent through the centuries. Activities of the Roman Church, extension of Monastic farming and religious activity, grants of land, marriage and inheritance all combined to create one Parish and by the year 1300, the Ecclesiastical Parish of Newton-Nottage had been formed.

Ffynnon Dewi Well or St. David's Well

The well gives its name to this ancient dell of Dewiscumbe mentioned in a 12th century grant of William Earl of Gloucester to Richard of Cardiff of Nova Villa in Margan.

Nottage Court - (The Grange/Noche Court)

The Grange known as Noche Court was listed as one of the Wheat Farms administered by the Abbot of Margam. When the Monastic lands were sold during the period 'Dissolution of the Monasteries' Noge Court Grange was included in the sale of land to Sir Rice Mansell in 1540.
In 1545 the Lougher family acquired the property and the house was rebuilt in 1570. The new building was built in the Elizabethian style and the original beams still support the roof structure. The original stone mouldings around windows, doorways and fire places are still intact within the building.
For many years the building was known as Ty Mawr but after extensive renovations in 1855 the gentleman in residence, the Rev. Henry Hay Knight renamed it Nottage Court. The Rev. Knight was the son of the vicar of Tewkesbury and he arranged for a tapestry which had been in Tewkesbury for 350 years to be hung in Nottage Court.
During excavations at Nottage Court evidence of Roman and Pre-Roman cultures were found in the form of Medusa and clay images. In the Court grounds are fossilised footprints of a Brontosaurus and the Gordianus stone which has Roman inscriptions. Nottage Court is privately owned and neither the Court nor the grounds are open to the public.

Ffynnon Fawr (The Great Well)

Ffynnon Fawr - The Great Well
Ffynnon Fawr - The Great Well, Nottage
This well is at the bottom of Nottage Hill near the traffic roundabout. It forms one of a line of wells which follow a fault line extending from Porthcawl Breakwater to St David's Well.
Fynnon Fawr has played an important part in providing the old village of Nottage and the relatively new town of Porthcawl with water.
The stile leading into the well is thought to be an altar atone from an old church.

The stone inscription

There is an inscription on the well which reads:

Welsh Version

Mae Dwr yn fendith angerreidol
Rhoddes Duw inni ar lawr;
Cofiwn "Awdur pob ddionni"
wrth yfed Dwr o'r Ffynnon Fawr.

English Version

Water is a necessary blessing
which God has given us on earth;
Let us remember the author of all goodness
as we drink from Ffynnon Fawr.

(1) Bridgend Library & Information Services, Coed Parc, Bridgend.
(2) Bridgend County Borough Council Education Department, Bridgend.
(3) Historical Guide of Nottage - West Park Primary School, Nottage.
(4) Mr Rob Bowen, Personal local historical knowledge.
(5) Photos: Mr Rob Bowen, Local Community Group, 2008

Webpage Author:
Mr Rob Bowen, Local Community Group, 2008

Nottage History Notes:

[1] - Interactive Guide to Old Nottage: Ref 28 - Unitarian Church, Cradock, Richard (fl. 1660-90) Nonconformist Preacher of the Independent persuasion reported by the Llandaff authorities in 1669 as teacher at the Newton Nottage conventicle in company with Baptist Lewis Thomas - Cradock, Richard (fl. 1660-90) National Library of Wales






Photos: Prince of Wales Inn, Kenfig Steve Parker Ton Kenfig, Bridgend

Software Downloads - What we use on Software Downloads - What we use on
About Us | Site Map | Disclaimer | Copyright Info | Contact Us [ Learn more ]
Page protected by Copyscape Do Not Copy Page protected by Copyscape Do Not Copy