PRESS RELEASE
Kenfig.org LCG

The Kenfig Borough / Old Bro Cynffig

In medieval times Kenfig was awarded the status of a Borough. The Kenfig Borough or Old Bro Cynffig included Kenfig, Maudlam (Mawdlam), much of North Cornelly, Marlas, Pyle and some of Kenfig Hill. [ Learn more ]
The Official Kenfig History Website
About | Contact | Location | Sitemap | Guest Book / Forum
Member Member Login Member Login
Kenfig - The Complete History
A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales
Kenfig - The Complete History [ www.kenfig.org.uk ]

Community :: History around the Area - North Cornelly

History around the area - North Cornelly
History of Kenfig & surrounding area
Today: [ ]


North Cornelly - Brief History

Online Etymology Dictionary

Surnames like Lovel are versions of diminutives of 'Wolf' in Old French or Anglo-Norman, either from nicknames 'Wolf Cub' (meaning... son of wolf) - this name came to England with the Normans.
[ Wolf and Werewolf ] Online Etymology Dictionary
Originally a sub manor of the Kenfig Borough which lay outside the boundaries of the Borough itself, its earliest holders were the Lupellus family who later adopted the name Lovel.
The earliest recorded name of the village from a document that dates from before 1183 is the rather cumbersome 'The Vill of Walter Lupellus'. The name Cornelly arose probably due to its close proximity to the crossroads (Cornelly Cross) where the road to the original village of Cornelly (Present South Cornelly) branched off from the main road.
The village adjoining the Cornelly junction therefore became known by that name and 'North' and 'South' were added to distinguish between the two.

North Cornelly Cross

Aerial Photo of North Cornelly Cross
Aerial photo of Cornelly Cross - The Carbide Works is in distance
School Terrace, North Cornelly
School Terrace, North Cornelly Cross - The Old School is on the right
Cornelly Arms, North Cornelly
Cornelly Arms, North Cornelly
Once known as Croes y Green, this crossroads which stands at the heart of modern-day North Cornelly has been here for well over 700 years.
The original village lay some distance away from the cross to the north east in the area between the manor house (Hall Farm) and the present day New House Inn.
A blacksmith's shop was built on North Cornelly Cross about 1738 which continued in use until the early part of the 20th century.

Local Roads - Street Names

Heol Fach (Little Road)

Despite its name (perhaps acquired when the 'Big Road' through Pyle was opened in the 15th century), Heol Fach during the medieval period was part of the main highway through the coastal plain of Glamorgan.
Analysis of medieval documents shows that this road descended from Stormy Down along what is now 'Heol Y Sheet' on Broadlands Estate, as far as Cornelly Cross and then headed towards the town of Kenfig. It was probably from this earlier period that it acquired the name of 'Cartway' which is often given as an alternative in 17th century documents.
At the 'Croes Y Ddadl' road junction, Heol Fach connected with the ancient trackway leading down from Cefn Cribbwr to the coast. The road to Pont Velin Newydd (certainly in being in the 13th century) and presumably a road leading direct to the town of Kenfig.

Croes Y Ddadl (Cross of Dispute)

The base of this cross stands, almost completely buried by sand in the dunes a little north east of the crossroads formed by the junction of Heol Fach with the road from Marlas to Maudlam.
Presumably it marks the original site of this crossroads which has been 'pushed' inland away from it by the advancing sand. The name seems to imply that it was originally a place used by local people as a meeting point at which differences and disputes between them could be settled.
If Croes Y Ddadl is accepted as Cross of dispute then perhaps the dissensions that arose here were with merchants attempting to bypass the Borough markets by utilizing the Pont Velin Newydd crossing.
In 1843 it was the location chosen for a large public meeting held to voice local unrest at the manner in which the local toll-gates were being operated by the Turnpike Trust. [ Turnpike Trust Wikipedia ]


Bibliography:
(1) Cornelly Community Council
(2) Bridgend Library & Information Services, Coed Parc, Bridgend
(3) Mr Rob Bowen, personal local historical knowledge
(4) Photographs: Old Cornelly, Rob Bowen

Webpage Author:
Mr Rob Bowen, Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2008

Acknowledgements

Documents/Publications

Author

Reference

Location

Photos: Prince of Wales Inn, Kenfig Steve Parker Ton Kenfig, Bridgend

Software Downloads - What we use on Kenfig.org Software Downloads - What we use on Kenfig.org
About Us | Site Map | Disclaimer | Copyright Info | Contact Us [ Learn more ]
Page protected by Copyscape Do Not Copy Page protected by Copyscape Do Not Copy