only search Kenfig.org.uk
Choose Language
* English English * Welsh Welsh

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)

The Official Kenfig Community History Project
About | Contact | Location | Sitemap | Newsgroup / Facebook | Old Guestbook

Kenfig.org Local Community Group

Member Member Login Member Login
Kenfig - The Complete History
A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales Kenfig - The Complete History
A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales
*

Documenting the entire history of the old kenfig borough / old bro cynffig


Search the History Section
History of Kenfig Pool
www.kenfig.org.uk
An important part of Wales documentary Heritage
Identified by The National Library of Wales

History Section

*

In This Section

*

Folklore

*
*
*
You are here:

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)

The History of Kenfig Pool

Kenfig Pool

Kenfig stood by the edge of marsh land hence its original Welsh name 'Cefn-y-ffignon' (a corruption meaning 'a ridge on a marsh') - Thomas Gray who wrote the book 'The Buried City of Kenfig' 1909 maintained it was Cen-y-fig, 'head of the swamp'.

Sunset over Kenfig Pool

Background

Covering some 70 acres, Kenfig Pool is today a haven for wildlife and an important feature of the Kenfig Dunes National Nature Reserve. Although only just over 12 feet in depth at its deepest point, it was long reputed locally to be "bottomless".

Local Legend

It was also reputed to overlie the ancient town of Kenfig - a tradition which perhaps dates from the middle of the 16th century. Although there is no visible outlet from the pool today, a map made in the 16th century shows that it then entered the sea along a channel leading from the south-west corner of the lake.
It was probably here that a sluice or watergate stood, as recorded in the accounts of the Margam Estate in 1769 when the channel was presumably open. References to the fact that the Blaklaak stream ran from the southern to the northern water of Kenfig have led people to believe that it was the outlet at about the time Kenfig town was built.

Fishing at Kenfig Pool

The fishing rights in the pool were vested in the burgesses, though they are noted sadly in the 1660 survey that it contained "only eels and roaches". Things began to change after the middle of the 18th century, however, as the young Thomas Mansel Talbot of the Margam estate, a keen huntsman and angler, discovered the pleasures and wildlife of the area.
He made arrangements for a boat to be kept at the lake and, in 1769 went so far as to have pike from Llangorse Lake near Brecon brought in specially constructed tin tanks, on horseback, to stock the Kenfig waters. Other fish were brought by the same method from the lakes at Hensol Castle and other improvements followed.
Willow beds were planted, provision made for swans to be fed in winter, a proper boathouse built, and an artificial island created to encourage wildfoul to breed - the latter has now sunk beneath the waters.















Location Map || Kenfig, Bridgend



View Larger Map


Learn the History of Sker House Learn the History of Sker House The Maids of Sker The Maids of Sker

Associated Website Links || Further Reading

website links

further reading

*
*
*
*
*
Kenfig National Nature Reserve (Meadow Garden) - Unofficial Website
*
*
*

Acknowledgements ||


Bibliography

(1) Bridgend County Borough Council Library & Information Services
(2) Bridgend County Borough Council
(3) Kenfig History Society

Webpage Author

(1) Mr Rob Bowen - Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2010.
Google Groups
Subscribe to Kenfig / Cynffig - The Complete History (A Welsh Heritage Project)
Email:
Visit this group
Login Manager V3.0 Member Management System
Restricted Access to certain sections of this website have been implemented to help protect the interests of other investors in this online project and also due to previous abuse of this website.
The members area is FREE - [ you will have to fill out an [ online registration form ] and agree to [ our viewing policies ] to [ Login ] to the members area - failure to register will prevent access to certain sections of this website ]
*
*
*

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)

Sponsors & Associates

Sponsors & Associates UK Web Archive provided by the British Library The National Library of Wales Bridgend County Borough Council The Welsh Assembly Government BAVO - Bridgend Association of Voluntary Organisations
[ Learn more about this website & social networking ]

Intellectual Property Rights:

copyright © 2003-2010 www.kenfig.org.uk / www.cynffig.org.uk - All rights reserved. - Learn more...


Further Information:

The Kenfig.org website is operated as a not for profit making organisation known as Kenfig.org Local Community Group.

This website project is part funded by the Welsh Assembly Government and Bridgend County Borough Council through BAVO (Bridged Association of Voluntary Organisations)

The websites www.kenfig.org.uk / www.cynffig.org.uk respectively are owned and operated by Kenfig.org Local Community Group.

The Kenfig.org website has been granted Heritage Status and is being archived for posterity through both the National Library of Wales & the UK Web Archiving Consortium.

The website www.kenfig.org.uk is listed as an e-Resource on Wales on the Web Curriculum Cymreig Guide.


Kenfig.org Local Community Group is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

Optimised for Microsoft Internet Explorer - Download Browser Optimised for Microsoft Internet Explorer - Download Browser Optimised for Mozilla Firefox - Download Browser Optimised for Mozilla Firefox - Download Browser Optimised for Opera Software - Download Browser optimised for Opera Software - Download Browser Optimised for Apple Safari - Download Browser Optimised for Apple Safari - Download Browser Optimsed for Google Chrome - Download Browser Optimsed for Google Chrome - Download Browser Find us on Facebook Find us on Facebook
Find us on Facebook
Website optimised for viewing on all major web browsing platforms. Conforms to WW3 Consortium Web Guidelines.
Page protected by Copyscape Do Not Copy Page protected by Copyscape Do Not Copy