Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage' Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage'
English English Welsh Welsh
only search Kenfig.org.uk

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)


The Official Kenfig Community History Project
About | Contact | Location | Sitemap | Newsgroup / Facebook | Old Guestbook

Kenfig.org Local Community Group

Member Member Login Member Login
History (General) - Religion - Pisgah Chapel, Kenfig Hill


Search Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) Website


History

General - Religion



Pisgah Chapel, Kenfig Hill (founded c.1836)

Pisgah Chapel, Kenfig Hill
Pisgah Chapel, Kenfig Hill

Pisgah Baptist Chapel (Founded c.1836)

Copy of letter applying to the Lord Bishop of Llandaff for registration of 1st Pisgah Chapel c.1837
Registration letter - 1st Pisgah Chapel c.1837
The Second Chapel 1857-1913
The Second Chapel 1857-1913
Laying the foundation stones of present chapel c.1912
Laying foundation stones c.1911/12
Signatures on Chapel Deeds
Signatures on Chapel Deeds
Opening Programme of 3rd Pisgah Chapel April 1913
Opening Programme April 1913
Mr David Williams (Treasurer), Rev G.Aled Jenkins & Mrs Nancy Williams (Sec) - burning last promissory note when debt on chapel was finally cleared
Burning debt note on Chapel
Church members & friends at Pisgah to celebrate final payment of debt
Church members & friends at Pisgah
The 1st Pisgah Chapel was opened on Christmas Day 1836, where it was a daughter church of Ruhamah, Bridgend. The minister of the chapel was Rev. John James who was instrumental in obtaining land from C.R.M. Talbot, Margam Estate and for other transactions which led to the building of the first Pisgah.
Twyn Cottage, Water Street - where early baptists worshiped
Twyn Cottage, Water Street
Pwllygath Barn, Kenfig Hill - where early baptists worshiped
Pwllygath Barn, Kenfig Hill
The Orchestra which was started in Second Chapel
Orchestra in Second Chapel
Rev. T.M.Williams 1901-1951
Rev. T.M.Williams 1901-1951
Rev. G. Aled Jenkins 1957-1971
Rev. G.Aled Jenkins 1957-1971

Background History

A Lewis Thomas came from Swansea c.1660 and settled at Mwr Farm, Nottage, here he and others held services according to the tenets & beliefs of the Particular Baptists.
The brothers of Mwr joined the brothers at Penyfai when the latter started c.1702. In 1789 the borthers of Mwr had gone back to Nottage & built a meeting house which later became an Unitarian chapel. By 1826 the brethren at Penyfai had built their Smyrna. These early meeting places attracted preachers who were prepared to travel long distances to cottages & farmsteads.
Caegarw Farm played an important part as far as Pisgah was concerned where the Hopkins family who lived there were active baptists. Another similar venue was Ty yn y Twyn cottage (situated 500 yards NE of the Water Street main line railway bridge); the hosts at this venue were Mr & Mrs Porter. There is also a record of a Rev. D. Thomas of Aberavon visiting & preaching at the house of one nicknamed 'Siencyn the Tiler' - this being in the vicinity of Heol-y-Sheet, North Cornelly c.1810.

The 1st Pisgah Chapel

This chapel was small with the entrance via an outside porch. There were 44 baptisms during the period 1836-1839 by John James Ruhamah. On Christmas day 1839 a special meeting was called at which it was decided that Pisgah become a chapel in its own right & independant of Ruhamah.
Several ministers served the church including Rev. W. Bowen c.1841 who was the grandfather of Bowen the Postmaster at the post office next-door to Moriah Chapel (Top Cross, Kenfig Hill). In 1851 Richard Brown was ordained & who was a master in the 1st Bryndu School (held in buildings of Bryndu Colliery) was the minister to be followed by Rev.John Roberts (nicknamed Roberts Fawr), who was also a teacher & who had taught at a private school in Cefn Cribwr.
by 1857 the chapel had become too small and under the leadership of Roberts Fawr the old chapel was demolished. Services were held in the barn of Pwllygath Farm (Kenfig Hill) through the kindness of Mr John Jones who was referred to as 'Sion Pwll y Gatti'.
A sum of £30 was collected to clear the outstanding debt of the 1st chapel before starting the new project. The plans were drawn by Rev. T. Thomas of Landore & the new building cost over £600

The 2nd Pisgah Chapel

Like the 1st chapel, the 2nd was also opened on Christmas day albeit in 1857. In addition to the usual preaching services there were 2 miscellaneous bilingual concerts in English & Welsh. The choir was conducted by Thomas Daniel of Bryndu Colliery. On the final Saturday evening Roberts Fawr gave a lecture on 'The dream of Nebuchadnezzar respecting the different kings'.
Roberts Fawr was described as a 'prophet of the tongue', the orator whilst his successor from 1860-1861 Rev. John Jones (Mathetes) was a 'prophet of the pen' - a great writer & fearless advocate of his convictions of truth.

Deacons of the 2nd Chapel

William Alexander, David Hopkins, David Jenkins, Thomas Williams, Edward Wiliams (Waunbant) & Thomas Evans (St Athan)
By 1868 the minister at Pisgah was Rev. Gomer Leek and under his leadership and that of William Alexander (a shoemaker from Pyle), steps were taken to establish a daughter church for the increasing number of Baptists in Porthcawl. The 1st Gilgal was bult in South Road midway between Fenton Place and Arlington Road, (demolished). In 1872 the people of Pisgah made a great financial sacrifice to save Gilgal to ensure its future but the connection with the mother church was severed & Gilgal became a separate church.
In 1901 it was decided to extend a joint call from Pisgah Chapel & Nebo Chapel (Cefn Cribwr) to Rev. T. M. Williams and the ordination services were held at both chapels on September 21 & 22 respectively. By 1906 a vestry had been built at Pisgah; a costly mistake when it was decided to build a new chapel later on. There was some difficulty in obtaining extra land together with the new chapel occupying the same position as the existing one with its entrance facing the main road; this problem was resolved by building the present vestry out in the graveyard.

The 3rd Pisgah Chapel

The vestry was completed 1st, the old chapel demolished and services held in the new vestry during the construction of the new 3rd Pisgah. Feeling appeared mixed about this new project but many believed that the economic future of the locality looked promising and as a direct result a secret ballot of members held on 26 March 1911 it was decided to go ahead despite only 172 names on the membership book.
Negotiations & transactions were headed by Mr Williams with the foundation stones ceremoniously laid on 30 April 1911. - there were 3 ministers present who had been brought up at Pisgah: Thomas Thomas (Porthcawl), J.T.Griffith (recently returned from US) & William J.John (Newcastle, Pennsylvania).
The new building was opened on 30 April 1913 by Mrs M. Howell of Plas Hywel, North Cornelly with the activities extended from 30 April to 29 May during which 6 English sermons were preached (showing that the language problem was beginning to make itself felt).
The new building was unusual in that it had stained glass windows, rounded corners to the interior (making for fine accustics of the building), together with modern lighting & central heating.
In 1918 the joint pastorate with Nebo was served but sadly blighted by the 1914-1918 Great War which had an adverse effect upon the future of the church especially in so far as young people were concerned.

Finacial Burden

The minute book of these years reveal the chapel was a financial burden & the women folk under the leadership of Mrs T.M. Williams worked hard at sewing & quilting in order to hold an annual bazaar at the Talbot Institute, Kenfig Hill. The chapel was used for celebrity concerts, oratorios, lectures, eisteddfodau and amateur dramatic performances by Pisgah Chapel's own society; despite all these efforts the debt hung over the members for many years.

Minister's Retirement

On 30 September 1951 Rev. T.M. Williams retired having served the church & community for 50 years. He died on 29 October 1951 before seeing his dream chapel cleared of debt. During his ministry the Rev.Tom Davies & Rev. Esaias Hopkins entered the ministry & ministered successfully at Braintree and Llanbradach respectively.

Famous Visitors

One of the most famous personalities to ever visit Pisgah Chapel was Pastor Niemoller, the former German U-Boat Commander of the 1914-1918 Great War. He was in his latter days one of the foremost opponents to Adolf Hitler & Nazism and protagonist of the rights of the individual.

Recent Times

In 1957 Rev. Aled G. Jenkins took up the joint pastorate of Pisgah & Nebo where he remained until 1971 during which time the debt on the chapel was cleared. Members of the congregation saw the last promissory note being burned as part of a special thanksgiving service.
On 23 June 1976 Rev. R.S. Evans was ordained and during his ministry the fabric of the building was renovated with heating & lighting updated. In 1982 the church hosted the Baptist Union of Wales Annual Conference where the Rev. R.S. Evans acted as organising secretary on behalf of the Bridgend District. An unusual and new feature at these meetings was a performance of the drama 'The Vigil' performed in the chapel by the Cwmni Drama Afan.
This section will be updated in the near future with a special feature on the 3rd chapel's centenary 1913-2013 (30 April).

Footnote: Some documents outline Pisgah Chapel as located in Pyle, others as in Kenfig Hill. 1827 roughly marked the start of Kenfig Hill as a village with the letting of land & bulding of dwellings on Cefn Cribwr Common near the Bryndu Iron works. In Modern times, Pisgah Chapel is documented as located in Kenfig Hill, the street & main road where its stands named after the chapel itself.
Source: Pisgah, Chapel Y Bedyddwyr, Pil (Bryn James) - Bridgend Library & Information Services

Interactive Map

Burial Plots & Monumental Inscriptions - Pisgah Chapel, Kenfig Hill


Interactive Map - Burial Plots - Pisgah Chapel, Kenfig Hill Plot 2 Row A1 Plot 2 Row A2 Plot 2 Row A3 Plot 2 Row A4 Plot 2 Row A5 Plot 2 Row A6 Plot 2 Row A7 Plot 2 Row A8 Plot 2 Row A9 Plot 2 Row A10 Plot 2 Row A11 Plot 2 Row B1 Plot 2 Row B2 Plot 2 Row B3 Plot 2 Row B4 Plot 2 Row B5 Plot 2 Row B6 Plot 2 Row B7 Plot 2 Row B8 Plot 2 Row B9 Plot 2 Row B10 Plot 2 Row B11 Plot 2 Row B12 Plot 2 Row B13 Plot 2 Row C1 Plot 2 Row C2 Plot 2 Row C3 Plot 2 Row C4 Plot 2 Row C5 Plot 2 Row C6 Plot 2 Row C7 Plot 2 Row C8 Plot 2 Row C9 Plot 2 Row D1 Plot 2 Row D2 Plot 2 Row D3 Plot 2 Row D4 Plot 2 Row D5 Plot 2 Row D6 Plot 2 Row E1 Plot 2 Row E2 Plot 2 Row E3 Plot 2 Row E4 Plot 1 Row A1 Plot 1 Row A2 Plot 1 Row A3 Plot 1 Row A4 Plot 1 Row A5 Plot 1 Row A6 Plot 1 Row A7 Plot 1 Row B1 Plot 1 Row B2 Plot 1 Row B3 Plot 1 Row B4 Plot 1 Row B5 Plot 1 Row B6 Plot 1 Row B7 Plot 1 Row B8 Plot 1 Row B9 Plot 1 Row B10 Plot 1 Row C1 Plot 1 Row C2 Plot 1 Row C3 Plot 1 Row C4 Plot 1 Row C5 Plot 1 Row C6 Plot 1 Row C7 Plot 1 Row C8 Plot 1 Row C9 Plot 1 Row C10 Plot 1 Row C11

Plot 2 Row A1


Red marble headstone with grey lettering, red marble kerbstone, white chippings.
Mason: Evans Bros Taibach on footstone, Initials M.D. on flower pot.
In loving memory of Mary beloved wife of Benjamin Davies died April 12th 1918 aged 72 years. Also of the above named Benjamin Davies died June 1920 aged 72 years. Also of John James Davies their beloved son died Sept 6 1929 aged 55 years.


Plot 2 Row A2





Plot 2 Row A3





Plot 2 Row A4





Plot 2 Row A5





Plot 2 Row A6





Plot 2 Row A7





Plot 2 Row A8





Plot 2 Row A9





Plot 2 Row A10





Plot 2 Row A11





Plot 2 Row B1





Plot 2 Row B2





Plot 2 Row B3





Plot 2 Row B4





Plot 2 Row B5





Plot 2 Row B6





Plot 2 Row B7





Plot 2 Row B8





Plot 2 Row B9





Plot 2 Row B10





Plot 2 Row B11





Plot 2 Row B12





Plot 2 Row B13





Plot 2 Row C1





Plot 2 Row C2





Plot 2 Row C3





Plot 2 Row C4





Plot 2 Row C5





Plot 2 Row C6





Plot 2 Row C7





Plot 2 Row C8





Plot 2 Row C9





Plot 2 Row D1





Plot 2 Row D2





Plot 2 Row D3





Plot 2 Row D4





Plot 2 Row D5





Plot 2 Row D6





Plot 2 Row E1





Plot 2 Row E2





Plot 2 Row E3





Plot 2 Row E4





Plot 1 Row A1





Plot 1 Row A2





Plot 1 Row A3





Plot 1 Row A4





Plot 1 Row A5





Plot 1 Row A6





Plot 1 Row A7





Plot 1 Row B1





Plot 1 Row B2





Plot 1 Row B3





Plot 1 Row B4





Plot 1 Row B5





Plot 1 Row B6





Plot 1 Row B7





Plot 1 Row B8





Plot 1 Row B9





Plot 1 Row B10





Plot 1 Row C1





Plot 1 Row C2





Plot 1 Row C3





Plot 1 Row C4





Plot 1 Row C5





Plot 1 Row C6





Plot 1 Row C7





Plot 1 Row C8





Plot 1 Row C9





Plot 1 Row C10





Plot 1 Row C11





Monumental Inscriptions

Foundation Stones - Pisgah Chapel (Laid 30 April 1912)

The foundation stones are laid in the west front of the building.
01. Laid by Rev. W. J. John, Newcastle, USA - In memory of mother
02. Laid by Thomas John (Deacon)
03. Laid by Mrs Edward Thomas (Builder, Kenfig Hill)
04. Laid by Mrs M. Butler Davies, Kenfig Hill
05. Laid by Mrs Howell - In memory of her late husband Mr John Howell, Plas Hywel, Pyle.
06. Laid by John F. Twist (Physician & Surgeon)
07. Laid by Benjamin Williams, Margam House.
08. Laid by Children of Esaias Esaias (Secretary & Deacon) - In memory of him.
09. Laid by Joseph Williams (Deacon & Treasurer)
10. Laid by John T. Griffith D.D. - Baptised at Pisgah 20 May 1859

Disasters

Persons Killed

Newlands Colliery, Pyle - John Harry d.27 January 1942
Pentre Colliery - William John Rogers d.04 March 1925
Cefn Slip - John Bevan d.10 August 1882

Servicemen - Persons Killed on Active Service

Welsh Regiment - Lance Corporal D. Tame (34774) d.20 June 1917

Source: Barbara E. Rose, October 1984.

Key:

---- Information not provided, ? Information not available/cannot be interpreted
W = Wife, H = Husband, S = Son, D = Daughter, M = Mother, F = Father, OTP = Of this Parish

Burials - Alphabetical Name Index

Pisgah Chapel, Kenfig Hill

Surname - A

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Abel
Abraham
-
-
S of Maria
1
C11
Abel
Maria
25 March 1906
84
M of Abraham & Maria
Taibach
1
C11
Abel
Maria
-
-
D of Maria
1
C11

Surname - B

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Bassett
Margaret
---- 1950
60
W of Thomas Bassett
2
B2
Basset
Olwen
---- 1931
24
D of Thomas & Margaret
2
B2
Basset
Thomas
---- 1945
69
H of Margaret Bassett
2
B2
Bevan
John
10 August 1882
40
----
OTP
1
J1
Boundy
Britannia
22 July 1868
6 mths
D of Humphrey & Martha
Aberkenfig
1
H7
Boundy
Humphrey
01 April 1928
90
H of Martha
Aberkenfig
1
H7
Boundy
Humphrey
22 January 1875
4 mths
S of Humphrey & Martha
Aberkenfig
1
H7
Boundy
Joshua
05 March 1884
15
S of Humphrey & Martha
Aberkenfig
1
H7
Boundy
Louisa
24 March 1867
1 mth
D of Humphrey & Martha
Aberkenfig
1
H7
Boundy
Maria
14 July 1866
4 mths
D of Humphrey & Martha
Aberkenfig
1
H7
Boundy
Martha
11 September 1908
71
W of Humphrey
Aberkenfig
1
H7

Surname - C

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Cobley
John J
----
----
H of Megan Cobley
2
A5
Cobley
Kat-
----
----
D of John J & Megan Cobley
2
A5
Cobley
Leonard
----
----
S of John J & Megan Cobley
2
A5
Cobley
Megan
----
----
W of John J Cobley
2
A5
Cobley
Phyllis
----
----
D of John J & Megan Cobley
2
A5

Surname - D

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

David
John Thomas
Hyd 12 1952
66
H of Sarah A David
2
A6
David
Morgan
Meh 20 188?
34
----
Kenfig Hill
1
K2
David
Sarah Ann
12 November 1973
86
W of John Thomas David
2
A6
Davies
Benjamin
Jun2 - 1920
72
H of Mary Davies
2
A1
Davies
John James
06 September 1929
55
S of Benjamin & Mary Davies
2
A1
Davies
Mary
12 April 1918
72
W of Benjamin Davies
2
A1
Dixon
Catherine Ellen
----
----
D of Edward & Elizabeth
2
E1
Dixon
Edward
Ion 17 1948
78
H of Elizabeth
2
E1
Dixon
Elizabeth
Maw 02 1957
87
W of Edward
2
E1
Dixon
Ruth
----
----
d of Edward & Elizabeth
2
E1
Dodd
Mary
16 October 1859
28
W of Thomas
OTP
1
A6
Dodd
Thomas
25 August 1894
63
H of Mary
1
A6

Surname - E

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Edmunds
James
19 April 1909
70
H of Rachel
Kenfig Hill
1
N6
Edmunds
Thomas
23 Februrary 1904
25
S of James & Rachel
Kenfig Hill
1
N6
Edwards
Albert
02 July 1934
56
H of Annie
1
G11
Edwards
Annie
17 July 1967
87
W of Albert
1
G11
Edwards
David
11 April 1931
65
H of Mary Ann Edwards
2
B6
Edwards
Mary Ann
16 July 1935
68
W of David Edwards
2
B6
Edwards
Thomas Trevor
02 February 1974
71
----
2
B6
Esaias
Catherine Mary
Rhag 16 1961
94
W of Edward Thomas Esaias
1
O7
Esaias
Edward Thomas
Tac 12 1930
62
H of Catherine Mary
OTP
1
O7
Evan
David
01 October 1898
74
S of Thomas & Mary
Porth
1
A5
Evan
Isaac
16 January 1841
7 mths
S of Thomas & Mary
1
A5
Evan
John
February - 1839
4
S of Thomas & Mary
1
A5
Evan
Mary
16 December 1840
33
W of Thomas
1
A5
Evan
Rees
07 January 1837
3 mths
S of Thomas & Mary
1
A5
Evan
Thomas
22 January 1848
45
H of Mary
1
A5
-V-?-
Ann
----
----
D of William & Margaret
1
K3
Ev-?-
Dafydd
----
----
S of William & Margaret
1
K3
Ev-?-
Margaret
Maw 24 1893
48
W of William
1
K3
Ev-?-
William
Mai 03 1891
47
H of Margaret
Penygraig
1
K3
Evans
Ann
21 October 1934
62
W of Joshua Evans
2
C1
Evans
Ann
04 December 1869
33
W of Thomas Evans
1
H9
Evans
Margaret
01 December 1915
64
W of William Evans
Porthcawl
2
A4
Evans
Martha
Med 19 1929
64
W of William
OTP (Prev Tonytefail)
2
A9
Evans
William
Mai 02 1938
78
H of Martha Evans
2
A9
Evans
Williams
23 August 1916
69
H of Margaret Evans
2
A4

Surname - F

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Fabian
Margaret Eliz.
Maw 07 1936
61
W of Thomas
1
M9
Fabian
Thomas
Hyd 14 1925
52
H of Margaret
OTP
1
M9
Ford
Jane
28 December 1936
58
W of Emanual Ford
2
A11
Fox
Martha Jane
19 April 1957
71
w of Thomas John
2
C7
Fox
Thomas John
24 September 1942
57
H of Martha Jane
Kenfig Hill
2
C7
Francis
Charles
---- 1889
----
----
1
L4

Surname - G

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Gibson
Dorothy
18 August 1956
40
W of Mathew David Gibson
2
C9
Gibson
Mathew David
14 December 1969
58
H of Dorothy Gibson
2
C9
Griffith
Dafydd
Fai 04 1866
79
F of Thomas
1
G6
Griffith
Thomas
Fai 27 1858
34
S of Dafydd
OTP
1
G6

Surname - H

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Haddock
Sarah
05 July 1884
36
W of Rev. William Haddock
Kenfig Hill (Prev. Carllwyn Farm, Mynyddislwyn Monmouth)
1
K5
Harding
Edward Thomas
01 February 1884
8 mths
S of Isaac & Sarah
1
J5
Harding
Isaac
02 January 1924
76
H of Sarah
1
J5
Harding
Joseph
10 February 1887
66
----
1
E4
Harding
Margaret Jane
17 October 1886
6
D of Isaac & Sarah
1
J5
Harding
Sarah
20 November 1897
49
W of Isaac
1
J5
Harding
Thomas
13 November 1879
4 mths
S of Isaac & Sarah
Bridgend
1
J5
Harry
Catherine
24 October 1961
65
W of John Harry
2
A3
Harry
Clarice
17 March 1917
9 mths
D of John & Catherine Harry
2
A3
Harry
John
27 January 1942
52
H of Catherine Harry
2
A3
Hawkins
Bertha Jane
11 December 1953
61
W of Howard Walter Hawkins
2
B11
Hawkins
Howard Walter
07 December 1968
77
H of Bertha Jane
2
B11
Hawkins
Lilian
----
2
D of Howard Walter & Bertha
2
B11
Hawkins
William Harry
----
18
S of Howard Walter & Bertha
2
B11
Hill
Emlyn
20 December 1933
21
S of H & E Hill
2
A8
Hill
Emma
04 April 1962
93
W of Hopkin Hill
2
A8
Hill
Hopkin
27 May 1928
57
H of Emma Hill
2
A8
Hill
Miriam
05 May 1914
21
W of John Hill
2
A8
Howells
Idris
27 May 1938/9
42
----
2
C3

Surname - I

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Israel
David
13 August 1855
71
H of Elizabeth
1
B7
Israel
Israel
09 June 1852
5
S of David & Elizabeth
Tythegstone
1
B7

Surname - J

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

James
Martha
Aws 25 1981
94
W of William James
1
P4
James
William
Rha 31 1961
76
H of Martha James
1
P4
Jenkins
Betty
----
infancy
D of Daniel Idris & Eva
1
K8
Jenkins
Daniel Idris
15 November 1958
68
H of Eva
1
K8
Jenkins
Eva Florence
22 June 1984
89
W of Daniel Idris
1
K8
Jenkins
Mary Ann
28 May 1881
27
W of Jonathon
Ogmore Valley
1
C2
John
Bertha
----
----
----
1
L7
John
Catherine
Chw 13 1912
76
W of Thomas John
1
I6
John
Ethel Lena
Chw 24 1984
77
D of Rees & Mary Ann John
1
N8
John
Idris
12 March 1933
38
H of Edith Clara John
2
B5
John
John
December -- 1914
26
H of Mary Catherine John & Son of Thomas & Sarah John
2
A7

Surname - K

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - L

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - M

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - N

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - O

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - P

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - Q

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - R

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - S

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - T

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - U

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - V

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - W

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - X

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - Y

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No

Surname - Z

Surname

1st Name

Date of Death

Age

Relationship

Abode

Plot No

Grave No


Source: Bridgend County Borough Council Library & Information Services
Scale Drawing of Pisgah Chapel Graveyard - Jeff Kibby, (Oct 1984) on scale 1:200
Information: Glamorgan Family History Society / Glamorgan Archives, Cardiff
Interactive Image Map/Alphabetical Burials Name Index created by Rob Bowen © 2012 Rob Bowen, Kenfig.org Local Community Group. All rights reserved.


EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (E-RESOURCE)

History of Kenfig & surrounding areas - Prehistory to the Present Day


MARGAM HISTORY

  • Bronze / Iron Ages & Roman Era
  • The Monastic Era (1147-1536)
  • The Mansel Era (1536-1750)
  • Talbot Era (1750-1941)
  • War Years / Sir David Evans-Bevan
  • The County Council Years

  • KENFIG COMMUNITY




    Acknowledgements


    Bibliography

    • Bridgend County Borough Council Library & Information Services
    • The Story of Kenfig Book - A. Leslie Evans
    • The Parish of Pyle & Kenfig
    • Pisgah, Chapel Y Bedyddwyr, Pil (Bryn James), Bridgend Library & Information Services
    • Glamorgan Family History Society
    • Glamorgan Archives, Cardiff
    • Rob Bowen, Kenfig.org Local Community Group

    Webpage Author

    • Rob Bowen, Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2012


    MARGAM HISTORY...

    Margam Abbey (1147-1536)

    Margam Abbey
    Founded in 1147 by Robert, Earl of Gloucester, Margam Abbey was a Cistercian Abbey of the Mother House Clairvaux - its dissolution came about in 1536 and was the first abbey to fall under the Dissolution of the Monastries by King Henry VIII... Margam Abbey

    Capel Mair (c.1470)

    Capel Mair
    The medieval chapel known as Hen Eglwys or Capel Mair stands on the east side of Margam woods on a grassy knoll below Graig Fawr at 107m OD. Built c.1470 it appears to have served the local community who lived near to Margam Abbey; the Abbey Church being restricted to the monks... Capel Mair

    New The Margam Estate

    With evidence of over 4000yrs of continuous human habitation at Margam, learn history of the Estate & its owners through the centuries. Glimpse a Timeline of Margam Estate from the Bronze/Iron Age & Roman, Monastic, The Mansels, The Talbots, War Years/Sir Evans-Bevan & The Council Eras through to a an indepth study of all the above - this latter section will be on-going & updated at regular intervals.
    ... The Margam Estate

    New Local Genealogy

    Kenfig & Surrounding Area

    A unique online resource of the families that have helped shape the Kenfig area.

    Parish Surnames since 1695

    Beginning in 1695 this information contains a wealth of interesting material especially for Geneaology Studies.
    ... Parish Surnames since 1695

    Old Churches / Chapels

    St David's Presbyterian Church in Wales, Waunbant Road, Kenfig Hill (built 1909, 2nd church erected 1928)
    St David's Presbyterian Church in Wales, Waunbant Road, Kenfig Hill c.1909
    Elim Chapel, Kenfig Hill c.1907 (Demolished 1995)
    Elim Chapel, Kenfig Hill c.1907 (Demolished 1995)
    Moriah Chapel, Kenfig Hill c.1907 (Demolished 2009/10)
    Moriah Chapel, Kenfig Hill c.1907 (Demolished 2009/10)
    St Theodore's, Kenfig Hill c.1905
    St Theodore's, Kenfig Hill c.1905
    Interior of St Theodore's, Kenfig Hill c.1910
    Interior of St Theodore's, Kenfig Hill c.1910

    Local Events / Celebrations

    Sunday School celebrations - Official opening of 1st St Theodore's Church Hall, Margam Row, Kenfig Hill c.1922
    Sunday School celebrations - Official opening 1st St Theodore's Church Hall, Margam Row, Kenfig Hill c.1922
    Mother's Union Group - Maudlam Church 700th anniversary celebrations
    Mother's Union Group - Maudlam Church 700th anniversary celebrations

    Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - An important part of Wales' documentary heritage

    EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (e-RESOURCE)

    History

    War Years

    Community

    Folklore

    The Coast

    Pictorial History

    Exclusive Pictorial History of the old Kenfig Borough ENTER