Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage' Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage'
English English Welsh Welsh
only search Kenfig.org.uk

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)


The Official Kenfig Community History Project
About | Contact | Location | Sitemap | Newsgroup / Facebook | Old Guestbook

Kenfig.org Local Community Group

Member Member Login Member Login
The Town Hall - Prince of Wales Inn


Search Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) Website


History Section

The Town Hall - Prince of Wales Inn, Kenfig



The Town Hall - Prince of Wales Inn, Kenfig

Background

Location Map - Kenfig, South Wales


View Larger Map

The Town Hall of Kenfig The upstairs room at the Prince of Wales Inn
The original town hall of Kenfig was located nearer the mediaeval town itself; however, a will of a former Portreeve of Kenfig dated 1605 indicates that the burgesses of Kenfig were raising money towards the building of a new town hall.
The new town hall's erection marked the removal of the town of Kenfig from Maudlam (This is where it had been re-established following the abandonment of the old town) to the site of the new village.
It's presently debatable whether the original building once stood on pillars with intervening arches with the ground floor serving as a meeting place and market.
The Town Hall was the venue for both the Borough and Manorial Courts - inquests were also held here as the Portreeve was also the Borough Coroner.

Brief History of the Inn

The Inn itself dates from around the 15th century, its location within the ancient Borough of Kenfig being both of historical and commercial value to the locality throughout the ages. Previously called Ty Newydd (New House) Tavern, yet renamed in its present form during the late 18th century in honour of George, Prince of Wales, who, in 1820 was crowned George IV.
The Inn itself is the present Townhall which replaced the old guild hall of the ancient Borough of Kenfig which once stood in the old medieval town and is the focal point of the Borough both within its present and former transitions.
The building faced eastward and overlooked the old highway - Y Lane Fach (The Little Lane) around the year 1602. Sometimes also called 'The Corporation', the Inn was rebuilt in 1808 with its first floor room remaining of significant historical importance within the Borough.
This was the guild hall, now known as the town hall and is accessed via an external stairway to the main building. Its long room has been in continuous usage for centuries and it was within this very room that the Burgesses exercised their rights granted by the Kenfig charters.
It was here that they held their own courts, controlled trade, established commercial and public behaviour standards and enforced sanitation regulations. The festival of Gwyl Mabsant (Dancing Festival) was held in this upper room and on many occations it has also serverd as a mortuary for shipwrecked mariners.
A Griffith Jones circulating school was held here between 1739 and 1740 and up until recently has been the home of a Sunday school for over 130 years. The Trustees of the Kenfig Corporation Property who own the building continue to hold their meetings here in the town hall.

IS THE PRINCE OF WALES INN HAUNTED?

Music of the Night


YouTube Video

Ghosts - Kenfig Pub, South Wales

By Suitehaunts
Around the time of 1982, the then landlord of the Prince of Wales Inn described a problem concerning what could only be described as a supernatural occurence.

Kenfig Corporation Trust

The old borough of Kenfig was dissolved in 1886 as a result of the Municipal Corporations Act 1883. The Charity Commisioners set up the Kenfig Corporation Trust which consisted of a committee of 12 people.

THE KENFIG CORPORATION TRUST

Registered Charity: Number 214084

Borough Mace & Seal


Pub heritage project

You Tube Videos by Welsh Actor, Owen Teale

Prince Kenfig - School

Prince Kenfig - Courtroom

Prince Kenfig - Shipwreck

Prince Kenfig - Talking Walls

Prince Kenfig - Propellor

Prince Kenfig - My Friends



EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (E-RESOURCE)

History of Kenfig & surrounding areas - Prehistory to the Present Day


MARGAM HISTORY

  • Bronze / Iron Ages & Roman Era
  • The Monastic Era (1147-1536)
  • The Mansel Era (1536-1750)
  • Talbot Era (1750-1941)
  • War Years / Sir David Evans-Bevan
  • The County Council Years

  • KENFIG COMMUNITY



    Kenfig Corporation Trust

    The Kenfig Seal
    The 700 year old borough of Kenfig was dissolved in 1886 as a result of the Municipal Corporations Act 1883. The Charity Commisioners set up the Kenfig Corporation Trust which consisted of a committee of 12 people.
    These were 4 burgesses, 4 others from the Rural Sanitary Authority, Bridgend and 4 from the Margam Local Board. They were responsible for the administration of the corporation and the adoption of the scheme of adjustment of powers.
    The Charity Commissioners empowered to deal with its affairs set up the Kenfig Corporation Property which was formed of a committee of 12 people whcih included representatives from local authorities. This new committee was charged with the administration of the Borough Property. Under a new scheme of management issued by the Charity Commissioners in 1998, the Kenfig Corporation Property was renamed The kenfig Corporation Trust.
    Learn more about this registered Charity ...Kenfig Corporation Trust

    Related Website Links

    Charity Commission Registers and Regulates Charities in England & Wales
    Kenfig Corporation Trust Charity Number 214084 (Charity Commission)
    Kenfig Corporation Trust Contact Details Clerk to Trust & Trustees Names (Charity Commission)

    Music of the Night

    Ghost Stories & Folklore around Kenfig


    The Town Hall of Kenfig
    Around the time of 1982, the then landlord of the Prince of Wales Inn described a problem concerning what could only be described as a supernatural occurence.
    The story unfolds that after stop-tap and after finishing clearing the bar, both he and his wife began supper when they both heard the Sunday school organ playing in the upstairs room, (the old Guildhall). Thinking someone had sneaked into the room and was playing tomfoolery, he ran up the outside stairs, threw open the door and dashed into the room.
    The instance the door was opened the music stopped - yet the whole room was empty!
    The stairway is the only access to this upper room and a complete search was conducted to make sure that it was indeed empty before returning downstairs. In all, the same thing happened on three seperate occations - each time the ghostly music stopped the moment the door latch was touched.
    Unruffled and unconvinced that this was anything other than some physical phenomena that could be easily explained, not only were local specialists called upon, but also some of the World's leading experts in these fields and a great deal of media attention was raised in the process.
    Results from weeks of monitoring using very sensitive and sophisticated recording eqipment revealed a theory that sound energy had been captured by the silica and larric salts contained in the ancient walls of the building - the sounds being uncanilly like that of the Sunday school organ!
    Since the above episode, the Prince of Wales Inn has been refurbished a couple of times and he ghostly organ has gone to ground. The tapes did however, produce some other sounds - the echoing footsteps of someone pacing across the bare boards of the hall, together with murmered, but heated conversations quite distinct from those going on in the bars below.
    As far as it is known, no murder or other foul deed has occurred at the Guildhall in the past to provide any basis for these hauntings.For those who have heard the ghostly sounds however, tales of these and others from around the locality, can surely capture the imagination, especially if heard around the glowing fireplaces in the Prince of Wales Inn on a cold, dark winter's night.

    YouTube Video

    Ghosts - Kenfig Pub, South Wales

    By Suitehaunts

    Ghost Stories & Folklore around Kenfig

    Folklore Section ...Learn more

    Is the Prince of Wales Inn Haunted - Online Resources


    Acknowledgements


    Bibliography

    • Bridgend County Borough Council Library & Information Services
    • Bridgend County Borough Council Rural Development Programme - REACH
    • Bridgend Heritage Network (Bridgend History & Heritage Steering Group - REACH)
    • Pub is the Hub
    • Prince of Wales Inn, Kenfig
    • Steve Parker (old photos of Prince of Wales Inn)
    • Rob Bowen - Kenfig.org Local Community Group

    Webpage Author

    • Rob Bowen - Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2014

    PHOTO GALLERY



    Navigate above & click image to enlarge

    Twitter News Feeds

    New LATEST UPDATES

    Kenfig National Nature Reserve

    Kenfig NNR
    Situated at Kenfig Pool, Glamorgan's largest natural lake, Kenfig National Nature Reserve SSSI is on land owned by Trustees of the Kenfig Corporation Property which is leased & managed by Bridgend County Borough Council.
    A Site of Special Scientific Interest, Kenfig NNR is one of the finest wildlife habitats in Wales and is home to a wide variety of rare and endangered species of plants and animals, including the Fen Orchid.


    MARGAM HISTORY...


    Margam Abbey (1147-1536)

    Margam Abbey
    Founded in 1147 by Robert, Earl of Gloucester, Margam Abbey was a Cistercian Abbey of the Mother House Clairvaux - its dissolution came about in 1536 and was the first abbey to fall under the Dissolution of the Monastries by King Henry VIII... Margam Abbey

    Margam Castle

    Margam Castle
    Built for Sir Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot owner of the Margam Estate. This Tudor style mansion was built in the early 19th century and remained in use until the end of World War II. Now a part of Margam Country Park owned and managed by Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council... Margam Castle

    Capel Mair (c.1470)

    Capel Mair
    The medieval chapel known as Hen Eglwys or Capel Mair stands on the east side of Margam woods on a grassy knoll below Graig Fawr at 107m OD. Built c.1470 it appears to have served the local community who lived near to Margam Abbey; the Abbey Church being restricted to the monks... Capel Mair

    New The Margam Estate

    With evidence of over 4000yrs of continuous human habitation at Margam, learn history of the Estate & its owners through the centuries. Glimpse a Timeline of Margam Estate from the Bronze/Iron Age & Roman, Monastic, The Mansels, The Talbots, War Years/Sir Evans-Bevan & The Council Eras through to a an indepth study of all the above - this latter section will be on-going & updated at regular intervals.
    ... The Margam Estate

    New Local Genealogy

    Kenfig & Surrounding Area

    A unique online resource of the families that have helped shape the Kenfig area.

    Parish Surnames since 1695

    Beginning in 1695 this information contains a wealth of interesting material especially for Geneaology Studies.
    ... Parish Surnames since 1695

    Related Sections

    The Coast

    The Coast
    The South Wales coastline around Kenfig & Porthcawl to include shipwrecks from 1583, tales of smuggling, wrecking/looting of vessels ...Learn more

    Folklore Section

    Folklore
    An assortment of local tales and supernatural occurances from around the Kenfig Borough - Learn of Phantom funerals, Cwn Annwn, the Cyhiraeth, haunted pubs, ancient wells and local customs ...Learn more

    Sker House & Maids of Sker

    Learn of the history & turbulent past of Sker House together with its lovelorn maids ...Sker House ...Maids of Sker

    The Kenfig Community

    Learn more about the history of the Kenfig & surrounding area

    Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - An important part of Wales' documentary heritage

    EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (e-RESOURCE)

    History

    War Years

    Community

    Folklore

    The Coast

    Pictorial History

    Exclusive Pictorial History of the old Kenfig Borough ENTER