Prominent Parish Surnames since 1695
Kenfig & Surrounding Areas
Beginning in 1695 this information contains a wealth of interesting material - Geneaology Studies.
Henry Aylward, son of Charles Aylward (b.1695, d.1764); Benjamin, son of Charles (b.1699); Lazarus, son of Lazarus Aylward (b.1700);
Lewis Aylward (former portreeve who refused to swear Oath of Allegiance in 1664 - d.1705); Thomas Aylward (d.1712).
The family's progenitor was the Aeilward of Cornelly who witnessed Hugh de Hereford's grant to Margam Abbey c.1187.
Adam, son of Aeilward occurs in 1213,; William Aylward in 1307; Henry (Provost of Kenfig, c.1400); Jenkin in 1502; Thomas, son
of Jenkin Aylward c.1530; William ap Thomas Aylward (married Margaret, d. of Christopher Turberville of Penllyne - steward of the latter's
manor of North Cornelly in 1560); Henry, son of last-named William in 1595 (This Henry was father of Charles, Francis & William).
Later members of the line were Evan (1628), Charles & the aforementioned Lewis; the Charles noted in the register was Lewis's son.
A branch of the family, some of whom are now called Elward, settled in Llantwit Major, Llanmaes & St.Brides Major district by 1721.
None of them appears in Kenfig after the 18th century.
James Began (d.1699); Christopher (d.1706); Thomas, son of Thomas Began (b.1708); Isod d. of Jenkin (b.1705); Thomas (d.1711);
Richard (d.1722); James (d.1729); John (d.1740); Christopher (d.1744) and Joan Began (d.1781).
An early member of the family was Griffith Began, brother-in-law of Roger Sturmi whose sons quit-claimed land at Stormy to the
Margam monks in 1234. One of these sons, Geoffrey Began was a burgess at Cardiff. Most of the family were connected with North Cornelly.
Thomas Began in 1570, Lewis in 1611, William in 1642, and Jenkin, James, Richard, Thomas & Christopher between 1660-1676. Several members
of the family were presented as Catholic recusants in 1629. None of them appears in local records after 1781.
Jenkin, son of Morgan Lyddon (b.1696); Jenkin (d.1727); Evan (portreeve of Kenfig - d.1737); Morgan (d,1727); Samuel (d.1754).
An Edward Lyddon occurs in 1576; Evan in 1650-61; Henry in 1660 ; Joshua & Noah, father of Evan in 1699-1715.
David, son of Richard Waters (baptised 30 April 1695); Richard Waters (d.1696); Jenkin, son of Morgan Waters (b.1724);
Evan Waters (d.1724); Richard, son of Richard by Mary his wife (b.1745).
The earliest member of this family is John Waters (Gent of Cornelly in 1498 who founded a £20 charity for the poor
of the Parish of Pyle & Kenfig by his will dated 1515). Gitto Waters in 1561; Walter or Walters being an alternative name used by the family.
Thomas Walter held the mill known as 'Melin Dai Gitto' in 1633 (site of which marked by ruins of Mill Pit on Margam side of River Kenfig
at Rhyd y Maen). Thomas's eldest brother, Evan Waters in 1623-34 (had a son David). This David, referred to as David Waters Gent of North Cornelly (d.1689)
leaving 3 sons, Richard (d.1696), Evan (d.s.p. 1724) and Reverend Edmund Waters (d.1704). Richard had 1 son David (d.s.p.1749).
The Reverend Edmund Water's son, Morgan (1680-1765) became head of the family and he issued Morgan Waters of Stormy, Tyfry & Marlas who married
Rachel Powell of Coytrahen (d.1773). According to geneaology compliled by a descendant this Morgan had 2 sons, Morgan (d.1784) and Jenkin, a naval officer.
Jenkin had a daughter Charlotte who married a French nobleman - both she & her husband were guillotined during the French Revolution.
Morgan Waters III issued 5 sons some of whom had distinguished careers in the services. The eldest Edmund Thomas Waters (d.1848) at Cheltenham.
The 3rd son was the most illustrious of the family - Lt. General Sir John Waters (1774-1842) born in Tyfry, Cefn Cribbwr.
Sir John Waters
Distinguished himself in the Peninsula War under the Duke of Wellington and received the K.C.B. - he was acclaimed as a master spy being
involved in a series of exploits in which he risked his own life in order to secure information.
Blanch Turberville (b.1697); Mr Thomas Turberville of Hall (d.1743); Mrs Turberville (d.1744); Amy (d.1744); Mr Anthony Turberville (d.1759).
They were descended from the Turbervilles who held the Lordship of Coity in 12th century.
Thomas & his brother John sold their Penllyne Estate in 1703 and the former settled in Hall Farm, the manor house of North Cornelly (
which had long been owned by the family). Thomas & his son Anthony (both Catholic recusants) sold property by 1742. Anthony (last of male line)
leased a house in Pyle and lived there with his sister Christian Savage (d.1782). North Cornelly Manor passed into hands of Mansel-Talbots.
Robert Turpin (d.1762) aged 73; Mary Turpin (d.1764); Mary Shaftesbury Turpin of Hall married David Williams of Cowbridge & Ann Turpin
married Edward Sanders (surgeon) of Cardiff (widower) on 20 June 1763 both weddings witnessed by William Turpin & Mary Turpin.
Captain Robert Turpin purchased Ballas & Hall in 1742 for £1,760 - the deed relating to the sale says he was of Tower Hill, Middlesex
(tombstones under yew tree at Newton Churchyard suggest the family came from Messingham, Lincolnshire). One epitaph states that William's
son John Turpin was born there in 1736. The same tomb records the death of Francis Turpin, brother of John in 1809 and states that he was living
in Hall Farm.
Willaim Turpin (1696-1774) lived at Grove Farm. (Popular belief has associated the family with the infamous highwayman Dick Turpin who is
said to have lived in Lincolnshire for some time)
Williams of Sker
John Thomas Esq (d.1723); Hopkin Thomas Gent (d.1738); Edmund, son of Edmund Thomas (d.1750); Rees, son of Edmund Thomas Gent & Anne his
wife (b.1751); Edmund Thomas (d.1768); Rees, of Tymaen (d.1821).
John Thomas Esq lived at Marlas Farm and was descended from the ancient Welsh family of Richard ap Thomas of Ynysarwed in the Neath valley.
The latters son, Thomas ap Richard settled at Marlas in 1543 and married Margaret (daughter of Hopkin Thomas Philip - the soldier bard of Llandyfodwg)
they had a son, Richard. This Richard had a grandson, Thomas Hopkin ap Richard who lived at Marlas in 1661. Next in descent were Jenkin Thomas and the above John
The Edmund Thomas mentioned in the registers lived at Ty Maen, South Cornelly.
Richard Lougher (d.1698); Phillip Lougher married Mary Lougher (04 February 1713); John Lougher, son of Thomas Lougher (b.1744);
Robert Lougher of Pyle married 1854; Elizabeth Lougher married William Morgan in 1796.
The Loughers trace their descent to the Loughers of Sker & Tythegston Court, whose ancestors were the Lords of Afan.
The above Richard Lougher (1650-1698) lived in Cornelly & was son of Thomas of Tythegston, grandson of Watkin (d.1608) of the same place.
The Stock ran: Watkin-Robert-Thomas-Richard-Thomas-John. The last named Thomas (d.1744) founded a charity for the poor of the parish
by bequeathing £50 for that purpose; he lived in Cornelly. His son John lived at Cowbridge but later moved to Hall Farm and married Mary Turpin
(daughter of William Turpin). John Lougher issued 1 son, Captain Robert Lougher (1770-1800) who was killed at Quetta and buried in Newton.
The latter's sister, Elizabeth Lougher married William Morgan in 1796. Robert Lougher Morgan of Marlas is a descendant of this William.
Richard Lougher of Ty Tanglwys, North Cornelly (formally of Tregruff) is the only representative of the old line still living in the area.
David (b.1706) & Richard (b.1714), sons of Richard Yorath; Richard, son of David Yorath (b.1733); David, son of David (b.1738);
Richard, Francis, Thomas & David, sons of Richard born respectively (b.1742, 1745, 1748 & 1752); Richard, son of David (b.1759);
David, son of Richard (b.1779); David Yorath (d.1755); David Yorath Jnr (d.1754); John Yorath (d.1827).
The Yorwerths figure prominently in Kenfig's later history, several being portreeves. The name appears as Jorward or Yorwerd in the
13th century deeds relating to land granted to Margam Abbey in the Pyle-Kenfig area.
Morgan Evan Yorath occurs in the 1660 Survey and a Kathleen Yorath is mentioned in the survey of 1570.
Lewis, son of Thomas Joseph (b.1697) - interested in coal mining in the Trisant area of Margam.
Lewis (b.1703) & Matthew (b.1705) sons of David Cradock - member of prominent Newton-Nottage family.
John (b.1705); William (b.1708); Theodore (b.1712), sons of Richard Christopher - relation of Jacob Christopher (d.1676).
Owen Gethin (d.1708). The Gethins of Kenfig were descended from Thomas, son of Ievan Gethin, the warrior-poet of Baglan. Thomas held
land in the borough in 1450; Griffith Gethin was portreeve of Kenfig in 1518.
Edward Gamage married Mary Watkins in 1719. He was a descendant of the Gamages of Coity.
Thomas Hopkins Gent (d.1732); Thomas Hopkin of Pile (d.1740). The latter possibly sheltered the Jesuit Priests called 'Fathers John Hill &
John Scudamore'. Father Hill left Pile in 1736.
Mary Pralph was married to Richard Jenkins in 1748. Mary died 6 years later & was buried at Neath, home of her father David Pralph.
Richard Jenkins was of the Corrwg Fechan family & brother to Griffith Jenkins of Hendre Owen. He settled at Marlas where his son, David Pralph
Jenkins was born; he was High Sheriff in 1750 (his death recorded in register as 1790) - he also served as portreeve from 1756-1760.
Hopkin Llewelyn, attorney in law (d.1797). He lived in Longland Farm and was of the Llewelyn family of Court Colman & Baglan Hall.
James Marment of Monmouth married in 1781. James, son James Marment (b.1794). James senior kept the Pyle Inn
- he was an enterprising person who envisaged developing Porthcawl & Newton as a resort; he established a hotel at Newton in 1793.
Sir James Laroche (d.1804) aged 70.
William Llewelyn, Surgeon married Catherine Llewelyn on 26 April 1815. Dr Llewelyn (formally a ship's surgeon) lived at Marlas
for a short time before setting up practice at Taibach. He was an ancestor of Sir Godfrey Llewelyn, formally of Baglan Hall.
Howell William of the Asylum for the afflicted by Maudlam Church (d.1826) - This forgotten institution was still operational in 1832.
Morgan Rees, the Postmaster & Vestry Clerk (d.1832) aged 71.
James Simpson of Pyle Cottage (d.1832); William Simpson (d.1882) at Pyle Inn.
Edmund Sanders (d.1867) of Hall married Anne Loveluck in 1835.
Jenkin Thomas of Sker married Alice Williams of Horegrove in 1838. He was the grandson of the Methodist preacher Siencyn Penhydd;
his sister Catherine married John Loveluck, a Kenfig farmer in 1840.
John Bailey of Ty Maen, Cornelly (d.1872)
John Felton, Pyle Cottage (d.1898)
Frequent references are made in the burial registers to the interment of bodies found at Sker Rocks.
Mention is made of a beer house called the 'Horse & Tram' at South Cornelly in 1837-42; this inn was sited on the upper side
of the railway line above the Three Horse Shoes.
One of most singular entries realtes to the marriage of James Hart in 1844 - his father, Benjamin is described as a schoolmaster.
He signed the register with a cross...
Source: The Story of Kenfig - A. Leslie Evans