Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage' Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage'
English English Welsh Welsh
only search Kenfig.org.uk

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)


The Official Kenfig Community History Project
About | Contact | Location | Sitemap | Newsgroup / Facebook | Old Guestbook

Kenfig.org Local Community Group

Member Member Login Member Login
History - The Kenfig Community (Neighbouring Villages & Towns around Kenfig): North Cornelly


Search Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) Website


History

The Kenfig Community - The History of North Cornelly



Location Map - North Cornelly, South Wales


View Larger Map

North Cornelly - Background

Online Etymology Dictionary

Surnames like Lovel are versions of diminutives of 'Wolf' in Old French or Anglo-Norman, either from nicknames 'Wolf Cub' (meaning... son of wolf) - this name came to England with the Normans. Wolf & Werewolf Online Etymology Dictionary
Originally a sub manor of the Kenfig Borough which lay outside the boundaries of the Borough itself, its earliest holders were the Lupellus family who later adopted the name Lovel. The earliest recorded name of the village from a document that dates from before 1183 is the rather cumbersome 'The Vill of Walter Lupellus'. The name Cornelly arose probably due to its close proximity to the crossroads (Cornelly Cross) where the road to the original village of Cornelly (Present South Cornelly) branched off from the main road. The village adjoining the Cornelly junction therefore became known by that name and 'North' and 'South' were added to distinguish between the two.

North Cornelly Cross

Once known as Croes y Green, this crossroads which stands at the heart of modern-day North Cornelly has been here for well over 700 years. The original village lay some distance away from the cross to the north east in the area between the manor house (Hall Farm) and the present day New House Inn. A blacksmith's shop was built on North Cornelly Cross about 1738 which continued in use until the early part of the 20th century.

Local Roads - Street Names

Heol Fach (Little Road)

Despite its name (perhaps acquired when the 'Big Road' through Pyle was opened in the 15th century), Heol Fach during the medieval period was part of the main highway through the coastal plain of Glamorgan. Analysis of medieval documents shows that this road descended from Stormy Down along what is now 'Heol Y Sheet' on Broadlands Estate, as far as Cornelly Cross and then headed towards the town of Kenfig. It was probably from this earlier period that it acquired the name of 'Cartway' which is often given as an alternative in 17th century documents. At the 'Croes Y Ddadl' road junction, Heol Fach connected with the ancient trackway leading down from Cefn Cribbwr to the coast. The road to Pont Velin Newydd (certainly in being in the 13th century) and presumably a road leading direct to the town of Kenfig.

Water Street

Water Street which was part of the Roman coastal road, via Julia Maritima was called 'Heol-y-Troedwyr' (Road of the foot soldiers).

Julia Maritima

The Julia Maritima from Gloucester to Carmarthen passed Stormy Down, Cornelly, Maudlam and Kenfig to the south of the main road as far as Cwrt-y-Defaid.

Historic Buildings / Places

Local Farms

Hall Farm
  • Hall Farm - (The Hall Manor, Cornelly) was built by Roger Gramus in 1245 AD.
  • Marlas Farm - was built by Robert Marl in 1242 AD.
  • Ballas Farm - was built by Marthen Borlass in 1210 AD.
  • Ty yr Seler Farm - was built by the monks of Margam in 1236 AD.
  • Ty Tanglwys Farm - was built by the Du family in 1208 AD.
  • Stormi Farm - was built by Roger Stormi in 1245 AD. (Stormi Chapel was aslo built by Roger Stormi in 1247 AD)

Croes Y Ddadl (Cross of Dispute)

Base of Croes Y Ddadl (Cross of Dispute)
The base of this cross stands, almost completely buried by sand in the dunes a little north east of the crossroads formed by the junction of Heol Fach with the road from Marlas to Maudlam. Presumably it marks the original site of this crossroads which has been 'pushed' inland away from it by the advancing sand. The name seems to imply that it was originally a place used by local people as a meeting point at which differences and disputes between them could be settled. If Croes Y Ddadl is accepted as Cross of dispute then perhaps the dissensions that arose here were with merchants attempting to bypass the Borough markets by utilizing the Pont Velin Newydd crossing. In 1843 it was the location chosen for a large public meeting held to voice local unrest at the manner in which the local toll-gates were being operated by the Turnpike Trust.


EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (E-RESOURCE)


HISTORY

WAR YEARS

COMMUNITY

FOLKLORE

THE COAST

OLD PHOTOGRAPHS







Acknowledgements


Bibliography

  • Bridgend County Borough Council Library & Information Services
  • Glamorgan Archives - Borough of Kenfig records (c.1396-1998)
  • The Story of Kenfig (book) - A. Leslie Evans
  • Rob Bowen - Kenfig.org Local Community Group

Webpage Author

  • Rob Bowen - Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2011



Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - An important part of Wales' documentary heritage

EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (e-RESOURCE)

History

War Years

Community

Folklore

The Coast

Pictorial History

Exclusive Pictorial History of the old Kenfig Borough ENTER