The Official Kenfig Community History Project

ABOUT | CONTACT | RECOGNITION
Login required to Social Media

Weather Forecast
Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage' Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage'
Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)
Documenting the entire history of Kenfig & surrounding areas from Prehistory to the Present Day
















History - Interactive Books - Kenfig 1982
Search Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)

Educational Resource documenting entire history of Kenfig & surrounding areas from Prehistory to the Present Day

NAVIGATE THIS SECTION

HISTORY - INTERACTIVE BOOKS

Kenfig - Anthology of Kenfig District - 1982 edited & published by Mr Arthur Smith, North Cornelly

First Booklet Published on Kenfig History


Kenfig - Anthology of Kenfig District - 1982
Kenfig - Anthology of Kenfig District - 1982
Kenfig - Anthology of Kenfig District - 1982


USER INSTRUCTIONS


1. To Start Flp-Book & Turn the Page - Go to Right of Screen in Flip Book Section

Either

(a) Mouse over image (1st Page of book) till you see arrow Key in centre of screen to turn page

(b) Mouse over image (1st Page of book) Peel-back pages from each corner to turn page


2. To Zoom in & out of page

Either

(a) click on image or page in Flip Book Section

(b) Click on zoom arrows to top right of image (Page of Book) in Flip Book Section







Kenfig - Anthology of Kenfig District

First Booklet Published on Kenfig History

Some seven years before the Kenfig History Society was founded, a local history booklet was published by the Kenfig Press of Arthur Smith at Heol Fach, North Cornelly. A tribute to his grandfather who was the first Kenfig Councillor to be Chairman of Penybont Rural District Council & who was made a J.P. (Justice of the Peace) in the Coronation Year of 1937.

Only around 200 free copies of this booklet were ever published (all in the hands of Private owners).

Contribtors to this booklet published in March 1982 included: Magwyna Smith, Roger Price, Evan David, Jon Holliday, William R. Thomas (Mabon), Gaina Evans, Reg Matthews, Betty Jenkins, Bryn Hughes, Marjorie John, Willie John, Archie Edwards, Doris Davies, Charlie Trinder & Arthur Smith.

This website project has managed to obtain a copy of this booklet & is now publishing this on Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) so that it can be digitally archived through the National Library networks as well as serve as a permanent reminder to the dedication and commitment that Mr Arthur Smith felt & provided to his local community on a heritage level during the 20th century.

There are 57 pages in this online Interactive Book
All material in this online publication, namely: Kenfig - Anthology of Kenfig District - © Arthur Smith, 1982. All Rights Reserved.






ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Kenfig - Anthology of Kenfig District, edited & published by Arthur Smith, 1982 - Private Ownership
Intellectual Property (IP) - Interactive Online Books, Journals Etc. [See IP - 8.1 Interactive Online Books, Journals Etc.]
Digital Database development/design/author/creator: Rob Bowen [See IP - DATABASE RIGHTS]


WEBPAGE RESEARCHER/AUTHOR

Copyright Rob Bowen, Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2016







Kenfig Castle

Norman Castle built c.1140

Built c.1140 AD by Robert Fitzhamon, Lord of Gloucester this Norman castle was at the heart of Kenfig's infrastructure as an important maritime trading town.

Controlled by the Normans Kenfig was seen by the Welsh as an economic and political threat and was attacked at least nine times or more.

Learn more...



St.Mary Magdalene Church

Parish of Pyle & Kenfig

Dedicated to St.Mary Magdalene, Maudlam Church (built c.1255).

This isn't the parish church due to a consistory court, which met at Margam in 1485, deciding that this status be accorded to St.James' church, Pyle; even though the church at Maudlam is some 200 years older.

Learn more...



St James' Church - Pyle

Norman Church built c.1471

Known locally as 'The Upside-down Church' as it is reputed that when the sands threatened to engulf Kenfig, the old church of St James' in the town was dismantled stone by stone and re-built in 'reverse' at it's present location.

The Church was built c.1471 - St James' Church, Pyle is the Parish Church for the benefice of Pyle and Kenfig.

Learn more...



Sker House

Prince of Wales Inn Kenfig

Kenfig National Nature Reserve Porthcawl Docks

History Folklore

The Buried City of Kenfig