Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage' Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage'
English English Welsh Welsh
only search Kenfig.org.uk

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)


The Official Kenfig Community History Project
About | Contact | Location | Sitemap | Newsgroup / Facebook | Old Guestbook

Kenfig.org Local Community Group

Member Member Login Member Login
Folklore - Ghost Stories & Folklore around Kenfig


Search Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) Website


Folklore

Folklore & Ghost Stories around Kenfig


Folklore & Ghost Stories around Kenfig

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)

An assortment of local tales and supernatural occurances from around the Kenfig Borough are listed in this section. Local myths, legends and stories of folklore - the supernatural and tales of ghost stories from around the Kenfig area.

Music of the Night

Prince of Wales Inn, Kenfig

Around the time of 1982, the then landlord of the Prince of Wales Inn described a problem concerning what could only be described as a supernatural occurence.

YouTube Video

Ghosts - Kenfig Pub, South Wales

By Suitehaunts

Ancient Wells around the area

Learn about ancient wells in the Kenfig area - some of which are reputed to have mysterious healing powers.


St. David's Well (Ffynnon Dewi), Nottage

St David's Well
This well gives its name to an ancient Dell of Dewiscumbe mentioned in a 12th century Grant by William Earl of Gloucester to Richard of Cardiff from novum villiam in Margan. An inscription on a stone which stands alongside the well was erected in 1903. It is believed the Welsh patron Saint visited this site in the 6th century; he drank from the well and declared it to be of sacred ground proclaiming the water had important healing powers.

Ghostly Tales about the Well

A ghostly apparition of a misty but serene face of a little girl peering up from the depths of the water at dusk has been seen on a number of occasions. It is not known who she was but legend maintains she drowned in a tragic accident.

St John's Church, Newton

Background

Newton Church
The origins of the church remain unknown, it has been suggested that its founder, Richard de Cardiff with William, Earl of Gloucester were responsible for its construction & provision of funds. Norman Knights have also been linked with the Church under the Order of St. John of Jerusalem with the De Sanford family as its founders around the end of 12th century & early 13th century.
William Earl of Gloucester witnessed an early Margam Charter around 1147-1183 the Lords from Pembroke, Herbert & Lougher Manors are mentioned in connection with the church over next few centuries with examples of work from 13th, 14th & 15th centuries relating to the south porch, although little other documentation remains.
During the 15th century many parts of the church were rebuilt, these included the nave, the tower, the west doorway & chancel and other features such as the glass windows & pulpit were rebuilt in victorian era.

The Churchyard

The remains of Richard Lougher (d.1701) along with other lords of Tythegston occupy the tombstones around the floor of the chancel. The bodies of 3 young boys from a Dutch-West Indian ship called 'Planters Welvaart' were buried in cemetery on 3 June 1770; the death of William Turpin on 26 june 1774 (Gentleman & Clockmaker from Kenfig) seems to have some significance to the graveyards history.
The graveyard at Newton was a popular burial place within the parish of Newton-Nottage & by 1932 was declared full to capacity where a new municipal cemetery opened on 23 July 1934 for purpose of modern residents.

Ghost Sightings

An invisible 'Lich' is said to stretch its icy fingers onto unsuspecting visitors shoulders; nobody knows what or who this invisible force is, but it seems determined to make its presence known in any churchyard.
A chilling effigy of a man hanging from the large tree at the back of graveyard has been seen; tradition states that this horrific image is only seen during the darkness of halloween.
An image of a young boy running straight through the gravestones has been vividly seen; his appearance described as being dirty, with scruffy hair & torn clothes.
Legend maintains that a man from the early 19th century was drinking cwrw da (strong intoxicating ale brewed locally during 1800's) in one of Newton's public houses, only to witness a phantom funeral cortege proceed past him with the image of a man dressed in red huntsman's attire leading on horseback seemingly on its way to the churhcyard for the unfortunate victims burial. Instead, the procession passed him by before mysteriously dissappearing....





EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (E-RESOURCE)


HISTORY

WAR YEARS

COMMUNITY

FOLKLORE

THE COAST

OLD PHOTOGRAPHS




Acknowledgements


Bibliography

  • Bridgend County Borough Council Library & Information Services
  • Porthcawl Museum & Historical Society
  • Rob Bowen - Kenfig.org Local Community Group

Webpage Author

  • Rob Bowen - Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2011



YouTube Video

Phantom Hounds / Cwn Annwn

Fierce wild dogs who chose to hunt in packs accompanied by a ghost called ‘Matilda of the Night’ who travelled alongside them on her black horse.
Phantom Hounds / Cwn Annwn

The Story of The Hellhound

By CryptoZooKeepa

YouTube Video

New Most Haunted TV Series

Margam Castle, Port Talbot


Most Haunted - TV Series hosted by Yvette Fielding
Most Haunted - TV Series hosted by Yvette Fielding
TV Series hosted by Yvette Fielding

Little Known Legends

General Sir Thomas Picton

The Birth of General Picton
One of the Duke of Wellington's divisional commanders killed at the Battle of Waterloo had several connections with Porthcawl.
Read more... General Picton

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - An important part of Wales' documentary heritage

EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (e-RESOURCE)

History

War Years

Community

Folklore

The Coast

Pictorial History

Exclusive Pictorial History of the old Kenfig Borough ENTER