Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage' Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - A Welsh Documentary Heritage Website
Identified by The National Library of Wales as an 'Important part of Wales' documentary heritage'
English English Welsh Welsh
only search Kenfig.org.uk

Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource)


The Official Kenfig Community History Project
About | Contact | Location | Sitemap | Newsgroup / Facebook | Old Guestbook

Kenfig.org Local Community Group

Member Member Login Member Login
History - Coal Mines throughout the Kenfig Area


Search Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) Website


History

Local Coal Mines throughout the Kenfig Area


Location Map


View Larger Map

Mining in the Kenfig & Surrounding Area

Monastic Times

During the Monastic Era (c.1147-1536) the monks at Margam Abbey mined coal from around c.1200, some of the earliest mines around the Kenfig & surrounding area date from c.1770 these were started in & around the Cefn Cribbwr area.
The history of each mine together with various mining disasters associated with this working profession is outlined, colliery choirs, The Dyffryn Llynfi Porthcawl Railway & Porthcawl Harbour/Docks.

Park Slip 1864-1892

The Untold 1892 Explosion

Park Slip 1864-1892 (The Untold 1892 Explosion)
Park Slip colliery was owned by the Ogmore Coal & Iron Co - this drift mine began in 1864 and in 1889 was taken over by North's Navigation Collieries Ltd. It was situated at Aberkenfig near Cefn Cribbwr on the Llynfi and Ogmore Railway which passes over the south outcrop of the South Wales Coalfield.
On 26th August 1892 there was an explosion at Park Slip colliery which resulted in the loss of 112 lives. Learn what life was like underground and the untold story of the explosion in 1892.

Morfa Colliery 1849-1913

Morfa Colliery 1849-1913
Opened in 1849 by Vivian & Sons its produce fed the nearby Copper Smelter at Taibach which was also owned by the same company. There were a number of explosions at the mine which ran out underneath the sea of Swansea Bay.
On 26 Nov 1858 an explosion happened where 4 men were killed - the top of one of the victims safety lamp had been removed & a homemade key to fit the lamp's lock was discovered in his pocket. (This outlawed & dangerous practice saved the miners a walk to the underground lamp room where the lamp could be re-lit in relative safety).
As a direct result of all these explosions & of miners killed this colliery became known as the 'Pit of Ghosts'

Aberbaiden 1906-1959

Aberbaiden 1906-1959
Located north of Kenfig Hill this slant mine was developed by Baldwins Ltd and opened in 1906.

Cribwr Fawr Colliery 1905-1935

Cribwr Fawr Colliery 1905-1935
Located near Kenfig Hill this drift mine was opened c.1905 by Cribwr Fawr Collieries Ltd.

Bryndu Colliery 1834-1908

Bryndu Colliery, Cefn Cribbwr 1834-1908
Bryndu was 1 of the 1st commerical coal mines in the area although coal had been dug for centuries by the Monks of Margam as well as by local farmers on Cefn Common.
Mr O'Neil formed a company to mine coal at Bryndu on land belonging to Mr Talbot of the Margam Estate in 1834 to supply 2 blast furnaces at the same location. Later, this mine came under the ownership of Ford & Sons who further developed the colliery & coke works.

Newlands Colliery 1918-1968

Newlands Colliery 1918-1968
Opened by Cribbwr Fawr Collieries Ltd in 1918 to work the various seams under the bay at Margam. It consisted of slants but also contained a pit which was 253 yeards deep. The colliery suffered continually with water problems and closed in 1968.


Ton Phillip Colliery

Ton Phillip Colliery
Ton Phillip Colliery
Ton Phillip Colliery
Ton Phillip Colliery
Ton Phillip Colliery Rescue Team
Ton Phillip Colliery Rescue Team
Ton Phillip Colliery
Ton Phillip Colliery





EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (E-RESOURCE)

History of Kenfig & surrounding areas - Prehistory to the Present Day


MARGAM HISTORY

  • Bronze / Iron Ages & Roman Era
  • The Monastic Era (1147-1536)
  • The Mansel Era (1536-1750)
  • Talbot Era (1750-1941)
  • War Years / Sir David Evans-Bevan
  • The County Council Years

  • KENFIG COMMUNITY




    Acknowledgements


    Bibliography

    • Bridgend County Borough Council Library & Information Services
    • Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council
    • Neath Port Talbot Libraries
    • West Glamorgan Archive Service, County Hall, Swansea
    • Glamorgan Archives, Cardiff
    • Digging up the Past - Photographic Archive South Wales Coalfield
    • Welsh Coal Mines
    • Rob Bowen - Kenfig.org Local Community Group

    Webpage Author

    • Rob Bowen - Kenfig.org Local Community Group, 2012



    Wage Slip - Aberbaiden Colliery 1920
    Wage Slip - Aberbaiden Colliery 1920

    Cefn Slip Colliery Officials & Workmen 1889
    Cefn Slip Officials & Workmen 1889

    Miners waiting for the Colliery Bus c.1930
    Miners waiting for the Colliery Bus c.1930 Commercial Street, Kenfig Hill

    Bryndu Colliery, Cefn Cribbwr
    Bryndu Colliery, Cefn Cribbwr

    Tytalwyn Colliery, Cefn Cribbwr
    Tytalwyn Colliery, Cefn Cribbwr

    The Winder
    The Winder

    Aberbaiden Colliery
    Aberbaiden Colliery

    Aberbaiden Colliery - Proposed Closure Letter 1959
    Aberbaiden Colliery - Proposed Closure 1959 (National Union of Mineworkers)

    Ty Talwyn Colliery
    Ty Talwyn Colliery

    Horse-drawn Coal Dram
    Horse-drawn Coal Dram

    Kenfig - The Complete History (e-Resource) - An important part of Wales' documentary heritage

    EXPLORE KENFIG - THE COMPLETE HISTORY (e-RESOURCE)

    History

    War Years

    Community

    Folklore

    The Coast

    Pictorial History

    Exclusive Pictorial History of the old Kenfig Borough ENTER